A top aide to Democratic Massachusetts Governor Maura Healey, Lamar Cook, has been fired following his arrest on charges of cocaine trafficking and illegal firearm possession. Cook, who served as deputy director of Healey’s Western Massachusetts office, was taken into custody after investigators intercepted multiple packages of suspected cocaine intended for the Springfield State Office Building where he worked. Authorities reportedly seized roughly 21 kilograms of cocaine in total, linking the bust to earlier discoveries at Hotel UMass, where Cook had previously served as director.
Governor Healey’s office immediately terminated Cook after the arrest, calling his conduct “unacceptable” and a “major breach of public trust.” Cook pleaded not guilty in Springfield District Court and is expected to return to court later this week. The incident has sparked political backlash, with Republican candidates criticizing Healey’s leadership and demanding accountability as the investigation continues into the broader drug trafficking operation.
Key Points
- Lamar Cook, a senior aide to Gov. Maura Healey, was arrested on cocaine trafficking and firearm charges.
- Authorities seized approximately 21 kilograms of cocaine connected to Cook’s alleged smuggling operation.
- Governor Healey condemned the actions as a serious breach of trust and terminated Cook immediately.
Aide To Democrat Massachusetts Gov. Healey Busted For Cocaine Smuggling

A member of Democratic Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey’s staff has been fired following his arrest on charges of drug trafficking and unlawful firearm possession.
Lamar Cook was arrested Tuesday after police executed a search warrant at the Springfield State Office Building, where he worked as deputy director of Healey’s Western Massachusetts office, according to the Hampden District Attorney’s Office. Investigators intercepted multiple packages containing “suspected cocaine” that were intended to be delivered to the government building.
Healey described Cook as a “proven [leader] with deep ties to Western Mass” when he was hired in April of 2023.
Cook pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Springfield District Court to charges of trafficking cocaine and illegally possessing a firearm and ammunition, and is scheduled to return to court on Friday, according to CBS News.

Indicted Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey aide LaMar Cook was arraigned Wednesday in Springfield District Court on charges related to alleged cocaine trafficking. (Screenshot via Springfield District Court)
Authorities said the arrest followed a controlled delivery operation on Saturday, during which officers seized roughly eight kilograms of cocaine. In total, investigators have confiscated about 21 kilograms of cocaine in connection with the case, including two parcels discovered earlier this month at Hotel UMass.
“Evidence collected during that operation was consistent with the narcotics recovered during the most recent controlled delivery in Springfield,” Gulluni’s office said in a statement. “The investigation into the UMass seizure remains ongoing and may result in additional charges related to the prior shipments in Hampshire County.”
Cook previously served as the director of Hotel UMass between 2016 and 2023, according to his LinkedIn profile.
Following his arrest, Healey’s office announced that Cook had been terminated immediately.
“The governor’s office has been made aware of the arrest of an employee, Lamar Cook. The conduct that occurred here is unacceptable and represents a major breach of the public trust,” Healey’s office said in a statement, according to WCVB 5 ABC. “Mr. Cook has been terminated from his position effective immediately. This criminal investigation is ongoing, and our administration will work with law enforcement to assist them in their work.”
Healey’s office did not respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.
Republican gubernatorial candidate Mike Kennealy called the news a “disgrace for our state and a direct reflection of Healey’s failed leadership,” while fellow Republican candidate Brian Shortsleeve called it “beyond shocking” and urged accountability.
All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.
