Surveillance showed the then-17-year-old flashing a handgun before the victim surrendered about $250
LANCASTER, PA – A gunpoint robbery committed at age 17 has landed a Lancaster man in state prison nearly three years later, after surveillance video showed him brandishing a handgun while an accomplice demanded money from a victim on Fremont Street.
Mychael Quiles, now 20, was sentenced July 15 to three to six years in state prison by Judge Jeffery Wright, according to information updated Tuesday by the Lancaster County District Attorney’s Office.
Quiles had pleaded no contest earlier this year to robbery, carrying a firearm without a license, possession of a firearm as a minor, persons not to possess a firearm and possession of marijuana.
$250 robbery caught on surveillance
The case stems from an October 2023 robbery in the 1300 block of Fremont Street in Lancaster.
Surveillance video showed Quiles displaying a handgun from his waistband while a co-conspirator demanded that the victim hand over all of his money, prosecutors said.
The victim surrendered approximately $250 in cash before the pair fled.
Additional surveillance footage from outside Quiles’ residence in the 300 block of Charles Road showed him leaving just minutes before the robbery and returning shortly afterward, according to prosecutors.
Investigators later searched the residence and recovered clothing matching what Quiles was seen wearing in surveillance footage, along with 22 grams of marijuana.
Prior juvenile record raised in court
Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Lapp told the court that Quiles had four previous juvenile adjudications, including two involving firearms.
He was also on juvenile probation when the October 2023 robbery occurred.
Because Quiles was 17 at the time, he could not legally obtain a license to carry a concealed firearm. Prosecutors said a previous juvenile gun adjudication also prohibited him from possessing a firearm.
Judge imposes three to six years
The case had been scheduled for trial in February, but Quiles entered his no-contest pleas on the morning jury selection was set to begin.
Before sentencing, Quiles told the court his conduct did not reflect the person he had since become and said he had worked to improve his life.
Quiles and his mother attributed his involvement in part to his choice of associates. Prosecutors countered that surveillance evidence showed Quiles was an active participant in the armed robbery.
Wright said he was optimistic Quiles could reform, pointing to his family support and desire to reunite with his two young children.
Lancaster City Bureau of Police Officer Tyler Chubb filed the charges.
Key Points
- Mychael Quiles, 20, was sentenced July 15 to three to six years in state prison for an armed robbery he committed at age 17.
- Prosecutors said surveillance video showed Quiles brandishing a handgun while an accomplice demanded money from a victim who surrendered about $250.
- Quiles had four prior juvenile adjudications and was on juvenile probation when the 2023 robbery occurred.