Jury convicts Paul Caneiro on four counts of murder, killing entire family

FREEHOLD, N.J. – A Monmouth County jury on Friday convicted a 59-year-old New Jersey man of murdering his brother, sister-in-law, and two young children, closing one of the state’s most closely watched homicide trials.

Jurors found Paul Caneiro guilty on four counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Keith Caneiro, his wife Jennifer, and their children, 11-year-old Jesse and 8-year-old Sophia. The panel also returned guilty verdicts on aggravated arson and weapons offenses tied to the fires set at two separate homes.

The decision came after fewer than five hours of deliberations in Monmouth County Superior Court, capping a five-week trial that featured testimony from nearly 50 witnesses, including forensic experts, fire investigators, and relatives of the victims.

Prosecutors told jurors the killings were deliberate and financially driven, stemming from disputes over jointly owned businesses and life insurance policies. They argued Caneiro killed the family inside their sprawling Colts Neck mansion on Nov. 20, 2018, then set the residence on fire in an attempt to destroy evidence.

Financial motive and fire evidence detailed

According to testimony, Keith Caneiro had confronted his older brother about missing funds from shared business ventures and personal accounts in the weeks before the killings. Prosecutors said that confrontation triggered a calculated plan that ended with four deaths and two burned homes.

Also happening, Traffic stop exposes major meth trafficking operation as North Carolina man gets years in prison.

Evidence presented at trial included security system data showing the alarm had been disabled, surveillance footage tracking vehicle movements, and clothing recovered from Caneiro’s basement that tested positive for blood. Investigators also detailed a second fire set at Caneiro’s Ocean Township home while his wife and two daughters were inside. They escaped without injury.

  • Jury convicted on four first-degree murder counts
  • Prosecutors cited business disputes and insurance policies as motive
  • Defendant also found guilty of aggravated arson and weapons charges

Defense attorneys disputed the state’s timeline and argued investigators focused too narrowly on Caneiro. They suggested another family member had financial incentive and criticized what they described as gaps in the investigation. The defense also referenced Caneiro’s emotional reactions during proceedings and his prior relationship with the victims.

Throughout the trial, jurors reviewed financial records, fire reports, and autopsy findings that prosecutors said formed a consistent sequence of planning and execution. The state maintained that the evidence placed Caneiro at both crime scenes and demonstrated intent.

Caneiro now faces a potential life sentence when he is scheduled to be sentenced on May 12. The case has drawn sustained public attention in Colts Neck and Ocean Township, where the killings disrupted two communities and left extended family members confronting the outcome in court.

In other news, Assault Charges Against New Jersey Veteran Who Defended His Home and Family from Unhinged Facebook Agitator Dismissed.