Dhs secretary markwayne mullin says the 35,000 potential noncitizen voter registrations previously identified in new jersey "may only be the beginning. "
DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin says the 35,000 potential noncitizen voter registrations previously identified in New Jersey "may only be the beginning."

Noncitizen Voter Registrations in New Jersey May Exceed 35,000 DHS Secretary Says

Posted by
2 mins read
August 19, 2026
Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin says the 35,000 potential noncitizen voter registrations previously identified in New Jersey "may only be the beginning," while also claiming state election officials have agreed to work with DHS to review voter rolls.

TRENTON, N.J. — Department of Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin is suggesting that the number of potential noncitizen voter registrations in New Jersey could be higher than previously disclosed, saying the approximately 35,000 registrations identified by federal officials “may only be the beginning.”

Mullin made the statement Tuesday in a post on X while announcing what he said was a commitment from New Jersey Secretary of State Dale Caldwell to cooperate with DHS in reviewing the state’s voter rolls.

“Thank you, @GovSherrillNJ. We got news from your Secretary of State that New Jersey will participate with @DHSgov in STOPPING aliens from illegally voting in your state,” Mullin wrote.

He continued, “The 35,000 potential registered aliens we identified may only be the beginning—look forward to helping NJ identify illegal voters and ensure election integrity.”

If confirmed, the statement would mark the first public indication from DHS that federal officials believe the scope of New Jersey’s voter registration issues could extend beyond the approximately 35,000 potential matches previously disclosed.

The Sherrill administration has not publicly confirmed Mullin’s statement or announced an agreement with DHS. As of publication, DHS has not released documentation identifying additional potential registrations beyond the previously announced figure.

The controversy comes after New Jersey acknowledged that approximately 6,600 noncitizens were mistakenly registered to vote through an administrative error involving the Motor Vehicle Commission between June 2023 and June 2024. State officials have said about 400 of those individuals cast ballots and have maintained there is no evidence the votes affected election outcomes.

That MVC error is separate from the approximately 35,000 voter registrations DHS previously identified as potential matches requiring additional verification. State officials have emphasized those records have not been confirmed as ineligible voters and require further review.

Earlier this year, federal prosecutors in New Jersey also charged four lawful permanent residents with crimes related to allegedly voting in federal elections before becoming U.S. citizens or making false statements during the naturalization process. Those cases resulted from a joint investigation involving Homeland Security Investigations, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the FBI.

Congressional Republicans are also investigating New Jersey’s voter registration process following the MVC error, requesting records from state election officials concerning the state’s compliance with federal election laws.

  • DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin said the previously identified 35,000 potential voter registration matches “may only be the beginning.”
  • Mullin also claimed New Jersey Secretary of State Dale Caldwell agreed to cooperate with DHS.
  • The Sherrill administration has not publicly confirmed Mullin’s statement.
  • DHS has not released evidence identifying additional potential registrations beyond the previously announced 35,000.
  • The 35,000 DHS figure is separate from the approximately 6,600 erroneous MVC voter registrations acknowledged by New Jersey.

FAQ

  • Did DHS say there are more than 35,000 noncitizen voter registrations?
    Secretary Markwayne Mullin said the 35,000 potential registrations “may only be the beginning,” but DHS has not publicly released additional figures or documentation.
  • Has New Jersey confirmed it will cooperate with DHS?
    As of publication, the Sherrill administration has not publicly confirmed Mullin’s statement.
  • Is the 35,000 figure the same as the MVC error?
    No. The 35,000 figure involves DHS-identified potential matches requiring verification, while the approximately 6,600 registrations resulted from a separate MVC administrative error acknowledged by the state.

Sources: U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of Justice, Secretary Markwayne Mullin on X

Phil Stilton
About the Author

Phil Stilton

Phil Stilton is the Editor and Publisher of Shore News Network, an independent digital newsroom providing original reporting on New Jersey, national news, government, public policy, public safety, courts, and community affairs.

As founder of the publication, Stilton leads editorial strategy, investigative reporting, and daily newsroom operations while overseeing coverage that reaches millions of readers annually.

Learn More About Phil Stilton
Latest From Phil Stilton

Facebook

Don't Miss