Jersey Shore town's World War I statute damaged by vandals

BELMAR — An 83-year-old World War I statue has been vandalized, according to Belmar Mayor Matt Doherty. Someone tried to break the soldier’s rifle, which damaged the scabbard and loosened the statue from its pedestal. It’s not known when the “Spirit of the American Doughboy” was damaged. The Belmar Historical Society plans to raise money to…

School Mourns Girl Who Drowned at Jersey Shore Beach

BELMAR — The 12-year-old girl who drowned in Belmar Thursday night and her 11-year-old cousin who remains on life support after being pulled from the ocean would have attended their last day of elementary school Friday. Instead, Belmar Elementary School is gripped with grief by the tragedy, school Superintendent David R. Hallman said Friday morning. “They’re…

Wall HS Yearbooks to be Republished After Trump Censorship

WALL — Wall Township High School will reprint corrected yearbooks for every student after a photo was intentionally manipulated to cover up a junior’s Donald Trump T-shirt, according to the district. Superintendent Cheryl Dyer announced the decision in a letter to parents on Thursday, a week after the district was first alerted to the altered photo.…

REPORT: New Jersey is Arresting More People for Weed Than Ever Before

TRENTON — If you lined up every person who had been arrested on marijuana charges in the Garden State since 2000, according to a new report from the state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, they would stretch the entire length of the New Jersey Turnpike — and into Maryland. The advocacy group found marijuana…

Dangerous clinging jellyfish found in N.J. river

The jellyfish with a dangerous sting that caused a scare on the Jersey Shore last summer, prompting the cancellation of several events, have reappeared in a Monmouth County river, researchers say. Clinging jellyfish – whose sting can cause “excruciating pain”, muscle weakness and serious medical problems, including kidney failure – were observed and recorded in New…

College student arraigned for allegedly killing man, dumping body

FREEHOLD – A 20-year-old Monmouth County woman was arraigned on multiple charges, included murder and robbery, in a Monmouth County courtroom on Monday morning for her alleged role in a February killing and attempted cover-up. Wearing a maroon, jail-issued uniform and with her hands shackled in front of her, Tinton Falls resident Raquel Garajau, 20, pleaded…

Weather Looking Good for This Weekend

New Jersey residents on Friday should be able to end their week with some pretty nice weather that should carry into Saturday. Friday should be mostly sunny with highs near 77. After 2 p.m., however, there is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Forecasters say highs will reach 79 in Vineland, Trenton and Newark. There…

Weekend Beach Outlook: 5 Shore Beaches Given Swim Advisories

A swimming advisory was issued for five ocean beaches in Monmouth County on Wednesday afternoon due to high levels of bacteria. The five beaches include: Broadway and Spray Avenue, in Neptune Township; Public Beach in Sea Bright Borough; and Brown Avenue and York Avenue in Spring Lake Borough. The statewide agency will check the beaches every…

Shore Couple Tied Up During Home Invasion

HOLMDEL — Two alleged robbers tied up a Holmdel couple Saturday night as they rummaged through their personal belongings for items to steal, authorities said. Two township residents, a 45-year-old woman and a 37-year-old man, came home around 10:54 p.m. to two individuals in their townhouse on Banyan Boulevard, said Donna Weaver, a spokeswoman for the…

Guadagno: Christie would make a good FBI director

NEWARK — Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno may be distancing herself from Gov. Chris Christie as she runs for the Republican nomination to succeed him, but she didn’t scoff Wednesday at the idea of Christie becoming the new head of the FBI. President Donald Trump on Tuesday fired James Comey as FBI director. Christie has a background…

Man Shot in Trailer Park Shooting in Jackson Township

Police are investigating a shooting in a Jackson Township trailer park where one man was treated in the hospital for a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Police said. just after midnight on May 4, 2017 Jackson Police Officers Kafton, Daniels and Mabey were conducting an investigation in the Luxury Mobile Home Community, located off Toms River Road (Rt 571). While there, the aforementioned officers heard a number of gunshots coming from an adjacent street, Coleman Way, in the community. After arriving on Colemen Way numerous residents were located outside. After speaking with the residents, a description of a male suspect and vehicle possibly involved was obtained.

A short time later, Community Medical Center contacted the Jackson Police Department and indicated they had a shooting victim in their Emergency Room. The victim was identified as a 22 year old male from Neptune NJ. The male was treated and later released with an abdominal wound.

While checking the Coleman Way area, officers located a number of .40cal shell casings on the ground. Officers also identified a mobile home, which was occupied, that had one round which penetrated the home’s exterior wall.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Jackson Police Detective John Rodriguez at 732-833-3008 or leave information on the Jackson Police Department’s Tip Line at 732-833-3032.

Freehold Borough school district to sue state over lack of school funding

FREEHOLD BOROUGH — The borough’s school district intends to sue the Department of Education over millions in state aid the district claims it’s not receiving. A resolution that sets the stage for litigation unanimously passed the Freehold Borough Board of Education at its meeting Monday evening. A lawsuit will be filed in about a week or…

Man, 25, killed during police pursuit in Howell, cops say

HOWELL — A 25-year-old Marlboro man died after he crashed his car early Sunday while trying to evade authorities, police said. Brian Fani was pronounced dead at the scene after he ran his 2009 Subaru Legacy off the road at a bend in the road on Southard Avenue near the Howell Golf Course, side-swiped a utility…

Domed Sports Facility Planned Near Six Flags Great Adventure

JACKSON-It’s being called Jackson Crossing 2 and includes a domed multipurpose sports facility.  The project as submitted by Cardinale Enterprises of Jackson Township, developer of Jackson Crossing, consists of an indoor soccer dome, and multipurpose turf fields that include one full baseball field, 3 soccer fields and 4 baseball/softball diamonds.

A hearing at the township zoning board will be heard on April 19th at 7pm.  A variance is needed to build the 50.5 ft high dome in a zone where there is a 35.5 foot limit.

The proposed facility will be built at the southeast corner of the exit 16 interchange of Route 195, just north of Six Flags Great Adventure.

According to tax records, the the property was purchased on March 29, 2016 for $1.15 million.

Domed sports facility planned near six flags great adventure

Domed sports facility planned near six flags great adventure

Private Beach Debate Boils Over as Proposed Parking Fees Could Aide Off-Limits Beach Clean Up

DEAL-A plan by the borough council is under fire by the New Jersey Chapter of the Surfrider Organization.  The organization is claiming that beaches aren’t the only thing here that need cleaning, but so does a new ordinance that could allocate public funds to beaches that are off limits to the general public.

According to Andrew L. Chambarry, Esq., representing the public, “The Borough of Deal has proposed their most sinister parking plan to date. They want to charge the public for parking passes which would fund the purchase of a beach sweeping machine. The machine will be used to clean beaches that you can’t access.”

At a public meeting on April 5, 2017, the Borough of Deal introduced Ordinance #1143 which would require permit parking during the summer months on five streets (Monmouth Terrace, Monmouth Drive, Hathaway, Sydney and Neptune Ave) with two vital beach access points for a cost of $100 for the summer or $50 per month.

“Mayor Cohen also said, and this is a direct quote from the public hearing, that this ordinance is the lesser of two evils,” said Harry Chambarry.  “So he admits that the ordinance is evil.”

A release by the organization read:

At the meeting, Mayor Cohen said it best, “If you want easier public access, you’re going to have to pay!” The Borough wants the public to pay $100 for a parking permit that won’t guarantee a space. They won’t restrict beachfront residents from purchasing permits and parking on the street to keep you away. They won’t admit that restricting parking is restricting access. They have no plan for ADA access or handicapped parking. They have no plan for increased traffic west of Ocean Ave. They want to push Ordinance #1143 through.

Worst of all is the Borough’s reasoning behind the Ordinance. They plan to purchase a $100,000 “beach sweep” machine to clean the beaches. Sounds great right? Wrong. Deal has notoriously horrible public access. Many of the street ends lead to dead-ends where access points should be. These street ends were vacated by the Borough in the 1980’s and early 1990’s to benefit adjacent homeowners and create private beaches. In essence, the Borough wants to charge you for a permit to fund beach cleaning equipment for beaches that you can’t enjoy.

The borough tried to pass similar ordinances in October 2015 and June 2016 restricting access. Those ordinances were tabled after they were met with fierce opposition. Ordinance #1143 is another slap in the face to local taxpayers, given that Deal’s beaches were recently the benefactor of a $40 million taxpayer-funded beach restoration project by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

It’s clear to everyone that the Borough intends to keep surfers, fisherman and the general public away from what they consider to be “their” private beaches. We have a right to access and enjoy the shoreline under New Jersey law. We can’t allow the Borough of Deal to restrict access to beaches that we all paid for.

 

5 more people charged as scammers who stole nearly $300K in Sandy aid

TOMS RIVER — Five property owners were charged Thursday with bilking the federal government out of nearly $300,000 in federal Hurricane Sandy aid for allegedly lying on their applications to get money to rebuild homes at the Shore damaged by the 2012 storm. In four of the cases state Attorney General Christopher Porrino laid out, the…

7 Buildings Damaged in Ocean Grove Fire

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_images_carousel images=”94577,94578,94579,94580,94581,94582″ img_size=”800×450″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Fire has damaged 7 buildings overnight in Ocean Grove.  Visit https://twitter.com/neptuneoem to get details on this story.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Shark River Dredging Project Complete

NEPTUNE, NJ – After facing years of setbacks and obstacles, the long-awaited dredging project at Shark River has been completed. Equipment from the project, which included removing sediment and reopening the navigation channels in the Shark River, is being removed.

“I’m pleased to report that with help of local and state partners, Shark River’s navigable channels have been restored to use,” said Monmouth County Freeholder Thomas A. Arnone. “The project’s two phases have restored the full length of the navigable channels.”

“The restoration of state channels to allow safe passage for recreational and commercial traffic is critically important to maintaining our vibrant shore economy,” NJDOT Commissioner Richard T. Hammer said. “I am proud of the efforts of the NJDOT Office of Maritime Resources, working with the county and local officials, to make the Shark River safer to navigate than it has been in decades.”

The dredging project hydraulically removed almost three decades of sediment from the Shark River making it possible for vessels to travel during low tide from the eastern side of the river in Neptune Township to the main channels on the western side in Neptune City and Belmar. Approximately 9,000 feet of navigable channels have been restored.

The sediment was hydraulically dredged and then piped via a secure welded pipeline to mechanical dewatering equipment located in the Belmar Marina parking lot. The dewatered material was then trucked to the Monmouth County Reclamation Center for beneficial use as cover material on the active landfill.

“Last summer this project was suspended by the shutdown of projects funded by the Transportation Trust Fund (TTF),” said Arnone. “I participated in negotiations with the State to restart this project and I plan to keep advocating for the State to maintain and improve this valuable environmental, recreational and economic resource for all County residents.

“Efforts to dredge the Shark River were a long time in the making and I am extremely pleased that our strong coalition of State, County and local leaders effectively advocated and committed funding to the dredging project,” said Arnone. “Twenty years ago, I was a councilman in Neptune City when I began advocating for keeping the Shark River a viable waterway. I kept up the pressure as mayor and finally, as a Monmouth County Freeholder, I am seeing results. Thank you to the NJDOT, the County Freeholders, Neptune City, Neptune Township, Wall, and Belmar.”

“I am pleased to have worked to secure funding for the Shark River dredging which was long overdue,” said Congressman Chris Smith. “The FEMA reimbursement of roughly one third of the project cost made the dredging possible, and will now make for safe navigation in the state channels. As someone who grew up boating and fishing on the Shark River, I know the importance of seeing this waterway improved.”

The dredging project was bid at $7.6 million, began in December 2015 and was performed by Mobile Dredging sand Pumping Co. of Chester, Pennsylvania. County and municipal commitments were as follows: Monmouth County $1.1 million; Neptune City $100,000; Neptune Township $450,000; and Wall Township $315,000. Belmar provided in-kind service for the dewatering process at the Belmar Marina.

“This is really a beginning; it certainly could not have been accomplished without the coordination of the surrounding municipalities, County, and the State to get it off the ground,” Senator Jennifer Beck said. Going forward we must conduct regular maintenance dredging to ensure the viability of this river.”