DC street shooting that wounded 5 including children ends with arrest

Police say an 18-year-old has now been charged in the Columbia Heights gunfire attack

WASHINGTON, D.C. — A shooting that left five people wounded, including four juveniles, in Northwest Washington earlier this year has now led to an arrest after months of investigation by Metropolitan Police detectives.

The Metropolitan Police Department announced Thursday that 18-year-old Anthony Del Cid-Morales of Northwest Washington was arrested on a DC Superior Court warrant in connection with the January shooting.

According to investigators, the gunfire erupted Jan. 22 at approximately 5:38 p.m. in the 5900 block of 16th Street Northwest.

When Fourth District officers arrived, they found an adult woman, two juvenile girls, and two juvenile boys suffering from gunshot wounds.

Police said all five victims were conscious and breathing when officers reached the scene.

The victims were transported to local hospitals with injuries described as non-life-threatening.

Authorities said Del Cid-Morales was charged with Assault With Intent to Kill while armed with a gun.

Police have not released additional details about what led to the shooting or whether investigators believe additional suspects were involved.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Anyone with information related to the case is encouraged to contact MPD at (202) 727-9099 or submit anonymous tips through the department’s TEXT TIP LINE by texting 50411.


Key Points

  • MPD arrested an 18-year-old in connection with a January shooting in Northwest DC
  • Five victims including four juveniles were wounded in the gunfire
  • All victims survived and were transported to hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries