LATHAM, NY – Major Dennis Schager, Commander of Troop G, led a memorial service today at the Troop G Headquarters in Latham. The ceremony was held to honor the memory of fallen officers and to support the families they left behind.
During the event, Major Schager emphasized that the fallen heroes are not forgotten and remain an integral part of the State Police family and the esteemed long grey line. The State Police used their Facebook page to reflect on the significance of the ceremony and to reaffirm their commitment to remembering their lost colleagues.

- Middletown lottery ticket sweeps all five numbers in Monday night drawing

Monday night TAKE 5 drawing delivers a five-figure score at Dolson Avenue retailer
MIDDLETOWN, NY – Five numbers lined up for one TAKE 5 ticket sold in Middletown Monday night, delivering the drawing’s $29,669 top prize from a ticket purchased at a local retailer.
The New York Lottery announced that the top-prize ticket for the Aug. 17 TAKE 5 evening drawing was sold at MOOSA, located at 1308 Dolsontown Road in Middletown.
Five numbers deliver top prize
The ticket matched all five numbers required to capture the evening drawing’s top prize.
The winning ticket is worth $29,669.
TAKE 5 numbers are selected from a field of 1 through 39, with drawings held twice each day at 2:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
Winning ticket came from Middletown retailer
New York Lottery draw-game prizes can be claimed for up to one year from the drawing date.
The Lottery contributed $3.6 billion during fiscal year 2025-2026 to support public schools across New York state.
New Yorkers seeking help for problem gambling can visit NYProblemGamblingHelp.org, call 1-877-846-7369 or text HOPENY to 467369.
Key Points
- A TAKE 5 ticket sold in Middletown won the top prize in Monday night’s drawing.
- The $29,669 ticket was sold at MOOSA at 1308 Dolsontown Road.
- TAKE 5 holds two drawings daily, and draw-game prizes can be claimed for up to one year.
- Four-Time Felony Drunk Driving Migrant Detained by ICE After Being Caught Driving Again

HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. — Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond A. Tierney announced Tuesday that federal immigration authorities have detained Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez after he was arrested for allegedly driving without a valid license less than two weeks after being convicted of his fourth felony DWI.
According to prosecutors, Aguilar-Alvarez was convicted by a jury on Aug. 7 of driving while intoxicated in Southampton with a blood alcohol concentration of more than twice the legal limit. Despite prosecutors requesting that he remain jailed pending sentencing, the court released him under strict conditions, including an order that he not drive.
Authorities said those conditions were allegedly violated Monday when investigators from the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office stopped Aguilar-Alvarez while he was driving near Main Street in Riverhead.
Prosecutors said Aguilar-Alvarez, whose driver’s license had already been revoked, was issued a summons charging him with aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the second degree before being taken for processing.
- Prosecutors say Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez was convicted of his fourth felony DWI on Aug. 7.
- He was released pending sentencing with a court order prohibiting him from driving.
- Investigators allegedly caught him driving again Monday in Riverhead.
- ICE detained Aguilar-Alvarez following his processing, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.
Prosecutors sought detention after conviction
District Attorney Tierney said his office asked the court to remand Aguilar-Alvarez following his felony DWI conviction because of his criminal history and concerns he could flee before sentencing.
According to the District Attorney’s Office, the request was denied, and the defendant was released pending his scheduled Oct. 2 sentencing.
Officials said Aguilar-Alvarez had previously been deported in 2024 following his third felony DWI conviction and is currently in the United States illegally.
District attorney praises ICE cooperation
After Aguilar-Alvarez was processed following Monday’s traffic stop, prosecutors consulted with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which took him into federal custody.
“It is self-evident that given his history of multiple felony convictions, Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez is a clear and present danger to any Suffolk County citizen traveling on our roads,” Tierney said. “He is a repeat felony drunk driver who does not belong behind the wheel.”
Tierney added, “I want to thank my Detective Investigators for apprehending the defendant. I extend my gratitude to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for their swift action in taking this individual into custody and working with my office to help protect Suffolk County residents.”
The District Attorney’s Office said it plans to seek a writ to return Aguilar-Alvarez to Suffolk County for sentencing on his felony DWI conviction and to answer the new driving-related charge.
FAQ
- Why was Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez detained by ICE?
Prosecutors said ICE detained him after he was arrested for allegedly violating a court order by driving while awaiting sentencing on his fourth felony DWI conviction. - Why was he previously deported?
According to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Aguilar-Alvarez was deported in 2024 following his third felony DWI conviction. - When is his sentencing scheduled?
His sentencing on the fourth felony DWI conviction is scheduled for Oct. 2.
Source: Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.
A four-time convicted felony drunk driver who prosecutors say was previously deported was detained by ICE after investigators allegedly caught him driving again while awaiting sentencing in Suffolk County.
Four-Time Felony DWI Offender Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez was detained by ICE after prosecutors say he violated a court order by driving while awaiting sentencing on his latest drunk driving conviction.
Suffolk County, Crime, ICE, DWI, District Attorney
- Two cops injured, five arrested as Buffalo police break up illegal gathering

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Five people were arrested after two officers with the Buffalo Police Department were assaulted while attempting to disperse an unlawful gathering Saturday in the 500 block of Niagara Street, according to police.
Authorities said officers were attempting to disperse the crowd when several people interfered with the administration of lawful orders. During the confrontation, one man allegedly placed his hands on an officer before grabbing another officer’s duty belt, removing a department-issued magazine, and repeatedly attempting to seize the officer’s gun and Taser.
Officers injured during violent confrontation
Police said officers were ultimately able to handcuff the suspect despite continued interference from the crowd. During the incident, one officer was struck in the head with a bottle and suffered a concussion, while another officer sustained a broken hand.
Both injured officers were treated and released from Erie County Medical Center.
Authorities identified the primary suspect as Carlos Martinez Rosario, 40, of Buffalo. He was charged with one count of Assault on a Police Officer, a Class C felony, along with Resisting Arrest, Obstructing Governmental Administration, Inciting to Riot, Unlawful Assembly, two counts of Disorderly Conduct, and a violation.
Four others also charged
Police said four additional Buffalo residents were charged with Disorderly Conduct in connection with the incident. They were identified as Graciela Sexto, 28; Maria Martinez, 39; Pedro DeJesus, 43; and Enrique Sexto, 53.
“As officers attempted to disperse the unlawful gathering, an unruly crowd interfered with the administration of lawful orders by officers,” the Buffalo Police Department said in its news release. Police further stated that one suspect “removed a department issued magazine from the belt and repeatedly grasping at the duty belt that secures the officer’s gun and taser.”
- Two Buffalo police officers were injured while dispersing an unlawful gathering on Niagara Street.
- Carlos Martinez Rosario was charged with felony assault on a police officer and several additional offenses.
- Four other Buffalo residents were charged with disorderly conduct in connection with the incident.
The investigation remains ongoing, and police have not announced whether additional charges or arrests are expected.
Anyone with additional information about the incident is encouraged to contact the Buffalo Police Department.
FAQ
- When did the incident occur?
The confrontation occurred Saturday, Aug. 15, while officers were dispersing an unlawful gathering on Niagara Street. - How many officers were injured?
Two officers were injured. One suffered a concussion after being struck with a bottle, and another sustained a broken hand. - Who faces the most serious charges?
Carlos Martinez Rosario, 40, was charged with Assault on a Police Officer, a Class C felony, along with multiple related offenses. - Were the officers hospitalized?
Both officers were treated and released from Erie County Medical Center. - How many people were arrested?
Five people were arrested in connection with the incident.
Sources: Buffalo Police Department press release.
- Gas station stop pays off with lottery win in Rockaway Park

Beach Channel Drive BP sells the ticket behind a $31,780.50 score
ROCKAWAY PARK, NY – Saturday night delivered a top-prize lottery hit to Rockaway Park when a TAKE 5 ticket purchased at a Beach Channel Drive BP matched the winning combination in the evening drawing, scoring a $31,780.50 prize.
The New York Lottery announced that the top-prize ticket for the Aug. 15 TAKE 5 evening drawing was sold at the BP located at 100-17 Beach Channel Drive.
The ticket was worth $31,780.50.
Saturday night produces Rockaway Park winner
TAKE 5 holds two drawings each day, one at 2:30 p.m. and another at 10:30 p.m.
Numbers are drawn from a field of 1 through 39.
The Rockaway Park ticket captured the top prize in Saturday’s evening drawing.
The Lottery’s announcement did not provide information about the person who purchased the ticket.
New York Lottery draw-game prizes can be claimed for up to one year from the drawing date.
Winning ticket sold on Beach Channel Drive
The ticket puts the BP at 100-17 Beach Channel Drive on the map as the retailer behind Saturday evening’s top TAKE 5 prize.
New York Lottery proceeds benefit public education across the state. The Lottery reported contributing $3.8 billion to New York public schools during fiscal year 2023-24.
New Yorkers seeking assistance with problem gambling can contact the confidential HOPEline at 1-877-846-7369 or text HOPENY to 467369.
Key Points
- A Rockaway Park BP sold the top-prize ticket for Saturday night’s TAKE 5 drawing.
- The ticket purchased at 100-17 Beach Channel Drive is worth $31,780.50.
- TAKE 5 prizes can be claimed for up to one year following the drawing.
- Massive dead whale washes into Jersey Shore surf and begins breaking apart

Suspected female fin whale is now near Barnegat Light after being spotted off Long Beach Island
BARNEGAT LIGHT, NJ – A massive dead whale that spent Sunday drifting off Long Beach Island has moved into the surf near Barnegat Light, where its heavily decomposed carcass is beginning to break apart while marine mammal experts coordinate plans for its recovery, examination and disposal.
The Marine Mammal Stranding Center said the whale, suspected to be a female fin whale, was first reported by a boater at approximately 10:20 a.m. Sunday about 1.5 miles off Long Beach Island.

Photo: new york state police honor fallen heroes in memorial service Reports from people along the coast helped the center track the carcass throughout the day.
Dead whale drifts toward Long Beach Island
The U.S. Coast Guard conducted a drift analysis after the initial sighting and estimated that the whale would move north and east toward shore during the following 24 hours.
Shortly before sunset Sunday, observers reported the whale several hundred yards offshore from Surf City and drifting north outside the breakers.
By 8 a.m. Monday, it had reached the surf near 11th Street in Barnegat Light.
The Marine Mammal Stranding Center’s stranding coordinator has been monitoring its movement at the scene.
Carcass beginning to break apart
The whale continued drifting north through the surf Monday and was reported just south of the jetty.
The Marine Mammal Stranding Center described the carcass as heavily decomposed and scavenged.
Parts of the whale’s body have begun to disarticulate and break apart as the carcass moves through the surf.
The center is working with local, state and federal agencies on a plan to recover, examine and dispose of the whale.
The available information did not establish how or when the whale died.
Public warned not to touch whale remains
Marine mammals are federally protected, and officials warned beachgoers not to touch or collect any pieces of the whale that wash ashore.
Anyone who discovers parts of the whale or another marine mammal is asked to report the finding to the Marine Mammal Stranding Center’s 24-hour hotline at 609-266-0538.
The center said additional information will be released as it becomes available.
Key Points
- A large dead whale suspected to be a female fin whale has drifted into the surf near Barnegat Light after initially being spotted about 1.5 miles off Long Beach Island.
- The heavily decomposed and scavenged carcass is beginning to break apart in the surf as officials develop a recovery and disposal plan.
- The public is being warned not to touch or collect any whale remains that wash ashore and to report discoveries to the Marine Mammal Stranding Center.