Newport News man arrested in shooting death of 15-year-old boy

Police say suspect identified through technology and community tips in late November homicide.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA – A 24-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the fatal shooting of a 15-year-old boy late last month in the city’s East End, Newport News Police announced Monday.

According to investigators, the incident occurred around 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, November 30, when officers responded to reports of gunfire in the 700 block of Lance Drive. Upon arrival, officers found a teenage male suffering from a gunshot wound. The victim was rushed to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries and died on December 2.

Following an intensive investigation, detectives identified Jamar Miguel Davis, 24, of Newport News, as the suspected shooter. With assistance from the U.S. Marshals Service, Davis was taken into custody on Monday, December 15.

Multiple charges filed

Police said Davis is charged with second-degree murder, shooting into an occupied dwelling, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and five counts of possession of child pornography.

Continuing coverage, New Jersey Bills Target Rising Pet Food Costs With Tax Breaks and $400K Assistance Program.

Authorities have not released details about the motive or any possible connection between Davis and the victim, citing the ongoing investigation.

Chief commends detectives and community cooperation

Police Chief Steve Drew praised investigators for their use of forensic technology and public assistance in solving the case.

“Our detectives are to be commended for their work in this investigation,” Drew said. “Using technological leads and the assistance of the community, we were able to make an arrest in a senseless crime. It is my hope that this will help the family as they continue to heal from the loss of their loved one.”

Investigation continues

Officials confirmed that Davis was booked into custody following his arrest. His booking photo was released by the department.

Police emphasized that the charges remain allegations and that Davis is presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.

More from Shore News Network, Two deadly crashes hours apart leave 19-year-olds dead in Albemarle County.

The Newport News Police Department continues to investigate and is urging anyone with additional information about the case to contact the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (1-888-562-5887) or submit tips anonymously through P3 Tips.

Latest developments, Major Court Victory In Fight Against New Jersey’s OPRA Ethics and Transparency Violations.