Utica bomb threat prompts evacuation of JFK Middle School, no devices found

Students and staff were moved to safety after a morning call warned of explosives at a Utica school.

Utica, NY – A bomb threat called into John F. Kennedy Middle School on Thursday morning triggered a full evacuation and multi-agency response before authorities determined there were no explosives on the property. The call came in at approximately 9:15 a.m., with the caller claiming several bombs had been placed throughout the school and would detonate at a specific time.

The Utica City School District ordered students and staff to evacuate to Redeemer Church on Herkimer Road, where nearly a thousand people were sheltered as law enforcement secured the campus. Officials said the evacuation was carried out without incident and that those inside the school remained orderly throughout the process.

Evacuation and coordinated response

According to the Utica Police Department, “Based on the threats the Utica City School District made a determination to evacuate students and staff to the Redeemer Church on Herkimer Rd.” Officials added, “Through the entirety of the evacuation process staff and students maintained an amazing degree of composure and control until they ultimately reached the church.”

Top story update, Four arrested after detectives uncover guns and defaced weapon.

At the church, school leadership accounted for students and maintained order. “Once there again JFK Principal Mr. DeJesus and his staff, kept the students safe, calm, and accounted for,” the department stated.

Police said local, state, and federal partners responded to the scene and established control of the situation. Officers first conducted an interior sweep of the building to ensure it was clear of occupants, followed by a detailed search using specialized K-9 explosive detection teams.

Investigation underway into threat

Authorities confirmed that no explosive devices were found during the search. “It was ultimately determined that there were no explosives on premise, and no immediate threat to the building or students was present,” police said.

After the sweep was completed, officials coordinated transportation to return students and staff to the school. “Once the sweep was concluded, School District and Police coordinated a return to JFK via bussing the students back. This was completed seamlessly and once back at school the educational day proceeded as normal,” the department said.

In other news, Gunman caught on camera after DC shooting.

The Utica Police Department Criminal Investigations Division, with assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, has launched an investigation to determine the source of the threat.

Officials also acknowledged community support during the incident. “We would like to thank all the partnerships today, along with the staff, students, and parents for their cooperation and understanding during this stressful time,” the department stated. They added, “We would also like to give a huge thank you to Redeemer Church, who without question or complaint opened their doors to nearly a thousand people at a moment’s notice and gave the students and staff a space to feel safe during this event.”

Across the region, Manchester Township man accused of pointing Glock at wife, making death threats during domestic dispute.