“Prosecutors cite pattern of domestic violence spanning multiple incidents.”
Washington, DC – A Washington, D.C. man has pleaded guilty to repeatedly strangling his former romantic partner in separate incidents last year, marking a third conviction tied to violence against the same victim, federal prosecutors announced Friday.
Ramon Leonard, 28, entered a guilty plea in D.C. Superior Court to two counts of strangulation stemming from assaults in April and October 2025. Prosecutors noted Leonard had previously been convicted of strangling the same victim in October 2024, highlighting what they described as a pattern of escalating domestic violence.
Leonard remains in custody and is scheduled to be sentenced May 28 before Judge Robert Salerno.
Key Points
Also happening, 2 Injured in North Philadelphia Shooting on West Somerset Street; Man in Critical Condition.
- DC man pleaded guilty to two strangulation incidents involving same victim
- Defendant had prior conviction for similar assault in 2024
- Prosecutors cite repeated pattern of domestic violence behavior
April assault led to emergency call for help
According to prosecutors, the first incident occurred April 8, 2025, during a verbal argument at the victim’s residence that turned physical.
During the altercation, Leonard “choked the victim by putting both of his hands around her neck,” officials said.
The victim reported she could not breathe and feared losing consciousness before escaping to a leasing office, where she called 911.
Second attack captured on surveillance footage
Authorities say a second assault took place October 31, 2025, after the couple had been out trick-or-treating with their children.
Prosecutors allege Leonard again placed both hands around the victim’s neck and strangled her outside his residence.
Just reported, Man Gunned Down in Longshore Avenue Died Despite Attempts by EMS to Save His Life.
“The victim felt like she was fighting for air and could not breathe,” according to the statement.
Officials said the incident was captured on surveillance video, providing key evidence in the case.
Prior conviction underscores repeated conduct
Prosecutors emphasized that Leonard had already been convicted of strangling the same victim in 2024 before the two additional assaults occurred.
“This defendant had already been convicted of strangling the victim once before, and yet he chose to commit this heinous act not once, but twice more,” said U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. “That pattern of predatory behavior will not be tolerated in this community.”
Leonard was arrested November 11, 2025, and has remained in custody since.
Making news today, Cumberland Police Arrest 6 in Separate Burglary and Assault Cases Over Busy Weekend.
Case investigated by multiple agencies
The case was investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department along with the U.S. Attorney’s Office Criminal Investigations Unit. The U.S. Marshals Service assisted in executing the arrest warrant.
Officials said the prosecution is part of broader efforts to address repeat domestic violence offenders and protect victims.
Here’s what’s happening, Six-time felon busted in Delaware drug sweep as cops nab trio during street deal.