HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. — Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond A. Tierney announced Tuesday that federal immigration authorities have detained Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez after he was arrested for allegedly driving without a valid license less than two weeks after being convicted of his fourth felony DWI.
According to prosecutors, Aguilar-Alvarez was convicted by a jury on Aug. 7 of driving while intoxicated in Southampton with a blood alcohol concentration of more than twice the legal limit. Despite prosecutors requesting that he remain jailed pending sentencing, the court released him under strict conditions, including an order that he not drive.
Authorities said those conditions were allegedly violated Monday when investigators from the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office stopped Aguilar-Alvarez while he was driving near Main Street in Riverhead.
Prosecutors said Aguilar-Alvarez, whose driver’s license had already been revoked, was issued a summons charging him with aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the second degree before being taken for processing.
- Prosecutors say Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez was convicted of his fourth felony DWI on Aug. 7.
- He was released pending sentencing with a court order prohibiting him from driving.
- Investigators allegedly caught him driving again Monday in Riverhead.
- ICE detained Aguilar-Alvarez following his processing, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.
Prosecutors sought detention after conviction
District Attorney Tierney said his office asked the court to remand Aguilar-Alvarez following his felony DWI conviction because of his criminal history and concerns he could flee before sentencing.
According to the District Attorney’s Office, the request was denied, and the defendant was released pending his scheduled Oct. 2 sentencing.
Officials said Aguilar-Alvarez had previously been deported in 2024 following his third felony DWI conviction and is currently in the United States illegally.
District attorney praises ICE cooperation
After Aguilar-Alvarez was processed following Monday’s traffic stop, prosecutors consulted with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which took him into federal custody.
“It is self-evident that given his history of multiple felony convictions, Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez is a clear and present danger to any Suffolk County citizen traveling on our roads,” Tierney said. “He is a repeat felony drunk driver who does not belong behind the wheel.”
Tierney added, “I want to thank my Detective Investigators for apprehending the defendant. I extend my gratitude to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for their swift action in taking this individual into custody and working with my office to help protect Suffolk County residents.”
The District Attorney’s Office said it plans to seek a writ to return Aguilar-Alvarez to Suffolk County for sentencing on his felony DWI conviction and to answer the new driving-related charge.
FAQ
- Why was Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez detained by ICE?
Prosecutors said ICE detained him after he was arrested for allegedly violating a court order by driving while awaiting sentencing on his fourth felony DWI conviction. - Why was he previously deported?
According to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Aguilar-Alvarez was deported in 2024 following his third felony DWI conviction. - When is his sentencing scheduled?
His sentencing on the fourth felony DWI conviction is scheduled for Oct. 2.
Source: Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.
A four-time convicted felony drunk driver who prosecutors say was previously deported was detained by ICE after investigators allegedly caught him driving again while awaiting sentencing in Suffolk County.
Four-Time Felony DWI Offender Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez was detained by ICE after prosecutors say he violated a court order by driving while awaiting sentencing on his latest drunk driving conviction.
Suffolk County, Crime, ICE, DWI, District Attorney