Police say four men approached the victim moments before gunfire erupted near Lombard Street
BALTIMORE, Md. — A 62-year-old man was left seriously wounded after gunfire erupted in downtown Baltimore early Thursday morning following a confrontation involving a group of men on East Lombard Street.
Officers responded at approximately 1:08 a.m. to the 1000 block of E. Lombard Street for reports of a shooting, according to Baltimore Police.
When officers arrived, they located the victim suffering from a gunshot wound.
The man was transported to an area hospital, where he remains in serious condition.
Investigators said preliminary findings revealed the victim had been walking with friends in the 900 block of E. Lombard Street when they were approached by four unknown males.
According to detectives, words were exchanged between the groups before one of the suspects pulled out a firearm and opened fire, striking the 62-year-old victim.
Police said the victim and his companions fled to the 1000 block of E. Lombard Street, where they contacted authorities.
Central District detectives responded to the scene and have taken over the investigation.
No arrests have been announced, and investigators have not released descriptions of the suspects involved.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Central District detectives at 410-396-2411 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7LOCKUP.
Key Points
- A 62-year-old man was shot during a confrontation on East Lombard Street
- Police said four unknown males approached the victim and his friends before gunfire erupted
- The victim remains in serious condition as detectives continue investigating