Police across the state to target unbuckled drivers passengers and child restraint violations during high-visibility campaign
TRENTON, N.J. — New Jersey drivers can expect increased police patrols and seat belt enforcement statewide as officials launch the annual “Click It or Ticket” campaign ahead of the busy Memorial Day travel period.
Attorney General Jennifer Davenport and the Division of Highway Traffic Safety announced Monday that the statewide enforcement effort will run from May 18 through May 31.
During the campaign, law enforcement agencies across New Jersey will conduct high-visibility patrols focused on drivers and passengers not wearing seat belts and children who are not properly restrained in car seats or booster seats.
Officials said the initiative is part of a nationwide campaign aimed at reducing roadway deaths and serious injuries.
Also happening, Police activity shuts down New Jersey neighborhood as investigation unfolds.
The Division of Highway Traffic Safety is providing $774,760 in grant funding to 113 law enforcement agencies throughout the state to support patrols, child restraint enforcement and public awareness efforts.
Under New Jersey law, drivers and passengers are required to wear seat belts, while drivers are responsible for ensuring passengers under 18 are properly restrained.
Authorities said children younger than 8 years old and shorter than 57 inches must be secured in an appropriate child restraint system based on height, weight and age.
State officials noted that front-seat seat belt use in New Jersey reached nearly 95 percent following last year’s enforcement campaign, exceeding the national average by four percentage points.
Despite the progress, officials said unrestrained passengers continue to contribute to fatal crashes.
Here’s another story, Speeding car launches 250 feet through air before fiery New Jersey crash kills driver.
According to state data, 135 people killed in New Jersey crashes in 2024 were not wearing seat belts, accounting for 43 percent of all vehicle occupant fatalities.
Officials also said one in four unrestrained crash fatalities involved people between ages 21 and 30.
During last year’s “Click It or Ticket” campaign, participating agencies issued more than 5,300 seat belt summonses along with thousands of speeding and cellphone violation citations.
This year’s campaign overlaps with Memorial Day weekend, one of the busiest travel periods of the year in New Jersey.
State officials said additional summer enforcement initiatives targeting speeding, impaired driving and Move Over law violations are also planned.
More from Shore News Network, K9 alert during Cumberland traffic stop leads to roadside drug bust.
Key Points
- New Jersey’s “Click It or Ticket” campaign runs from May 18 through May 31
- Police statewide will target seat belt and child restraint violations during increased patrols
- Officials said 135 unrestrained people were killed in New Jersey crashes in 2024
Across the region, Myrtle Beach Man Charged After Alleged Dressing Room Recording Incident at Target Involving Minors.