ROANOKE, Va. — A Pulaski County man barred from possessing firearms because of his criminal history admitted in federal court Wednesday that he sold two stolen rifles after they were taken from an unoccupied Virginia building.
Michael Brandon Smith, 40, of Dublin, Virginia, pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm by a previously convicted felon, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Virginia.
Federal prosecutors said Smith knowingly took possession of the stolen firearms and sold them to another person after an acquaintance brought the weapons onto property owned by Smith’s father.
Stolen Rifles Recovered by Federal Agents
According to court documents, the firearms were stolen sometime between Jan. 27 and Feb. 6, 2025, from an unoccupied building.
Prosecutors said Smith understood the weapons had been stolen when the acquaintance brought them to his father’s property. Investigators said Smith then attempted to remove the guns from the property by selling them.
Developing now, Woman sought after stabbing on Minnesota Avenue in Northeast DC.
Agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives later recovered both firearms identified in the case — a Savage Arms .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle and a Hawthorne-Sentry .22 caliber long rifle.
Because Smith has prior felony convictions, federal law prohibited him from possessing firearms.
Guilty Plea Exposes Defendant to Federal Prison Time
Smith now faces a maximum possible sentence of 10 years in federal prison at sentencing.
Federal prosecutors did not disclose the identity of the person who allegedly stole the firearms or provide additional details about the original theft investigation.
The case highlights how stolen firearms frequently move through informal networks before resurfacing in criminal investigations. Federal authorities routinely pursue charges against convicted felons found possessing or trafficking weapons because of the heightened public safety risks associated with illegal firearm transfers.
Here’s another story, Knife wielding jersey thief captured after downtown Baltimore robbery scare.
Key Points
• Dublin, Virginia, man pleaded guilty to possessing and selling stolen firearms
• Two rifles stolen from an unoccupied building were later recovered by ATF agents
• Convicted felon faces up to 10 years in federal prison at sentencing
ATF Led Investigation
First Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert N. Tracci and ATF Assistant Special Agent in Charge Samuel Ward announced the guilty plea.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives investigated the case.
Federal court records show Smith entered the guilty plea Wednesday in U.S. District Court. Sentencing will be scheduled at a later date.
Latest developments, 25-year-old wounded in Bryant Street shooting.