Queens prosecutors say an 18-year-old pulled a gun from a backpack and opened fire during a teen brawl
QUEENS, N.Y. — An 18-year-old Queens man has been indicted on murder charges after prosecutors say a teenage water gun gathering in a St. Albans park spiraled into violence and ended with a 15-year-old boy shot dead in front of a crowd of other teens.
Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that Zahir Davis, 18, of Springfield Gardens, was arraigned on charges including second-degree murder, gang assault, and criminal weapon possession in connection with the killing of 15-year-old Jaden Pierre.
According to prosecutors, the shooting happened April 16 at approximately 6:15 p.m. inside Roy Wilkins Park, where a large group of teenagers had gathered for a water gun fight promoted on social media.
Investigators said Jaden became involved in a violent altercation with a group of boys, including a 16-year-old co-defendant from Brooklyn.
Continuing coverage, Rockland County ticket buyer scores $2.2M lifetime lottery windfall.
Authorities allege the teen group repeatedly punched and kicked Jaden before dragging him to the ground. Prosecutors said Jaden eventually got back to his feet with his back against a fence when the attack continued.
According to the indictment, the 16-year-old allegedly punched Jaden in the face moments before Davis, who was standing nearby holding a backpack, pulled a silver firearm from the bag and shot the unarmed teen in the upper chest.
Jaden collapsed after the shooting and was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Prosecutors said Davis fled the United States after the shooting and traveled to Jamaica before returning on April 24. Authorities arrested him at JFK Airport upon his return to New York.
Davis was arraigned on two counts of second-degree murder, first-degree gang assault, and two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon. He was remanded into custody and is scheduled to return to court June 4.
In other news, Firefighters battle raging blaze tearing through New Jersey apartments.
If convicted, Davis faces up to 25 years to life in prison.
The 16-year-old co-defendant was previously arraigned on charges including attempted first-degree gang assault and third-degree assault.
District Attorney Katz said the investigation into additional participants involved in the attack remains active and ongoing.
The case is being prosecuted by the Queens District Attorney’s Homicide Bureau.
Key Points
Also happening, Man found shot inside Baltimore apartment dies at hospital.
- Zahir Davis, 18, was indicted in the shooting death of 15-year-old Jaden Pierre
- Prosecutors said the shooting happened during a teen gathering at Roy Wilkins Park
- Authorities allege Davis fled to Jamaica before being arrested at JFK Airport
Across the region, Driver found passed out behind wheel of running SUV in Pennsylvania driveway police say.
